[Last Updated: June 2, 2008]
There are many advantages to using the Firefox web browser for your daily browsing needs, but my favorite has to be the add-ons (extensions and themes) available to customize your browsing experience.
Within those add-ons are a few core extensions and themes that everyone should use. The Greasemonkey extension fits into that category in my opinion. Simply download the extension, then grab your favorite scripts and watch your internet browsing experience improve drastically!
Note: If you use Internet Explorer, you can use the IE7 Pro Compatibility add-in to permit some Greasemonkey scripts. If you use Safari, you may be able to run some scripts using Greasekit (previously known as the Creammonkey plugin). Opera is also known for being able to run a few scripts on their own.
How does Greasemonkey work? Greasemonkey assigns user-created scripts to run on the pre-determined web pages automatically, without you having to do anything. There are literally 100’s of them out their that improve the appearance and functionality of all sorts of websites out there. This post is a compliation of the best and most popular Greasemonkey scripts available to its users, broken down into category for easier reference.
– Blogger –
- Enlarge Blogger – Enlarges Blogger’s template editor.
– Bloglines –
- Bloglines HAI – Hide Archived Items script within Bloglines.
– Del.icio.us –
- Del.icio.us Prettifier – Drastically improves the look of Del.icio.us.
- Dejalicious – Tells you if the site you are looking at is already in your Del.icio.us bookmarks (adds + or -)
- Fav.icio.us – Adds the websites favicon next to its bookmark.
– Digg –
- Comment Box Sidebar – Makes the comment box appear where you are currently at rather than at the top of the page.
- Diggmenu – Adds a Digg menu to your browser.
- DuggMirror – Changes all Digg links to their DiggMirror links automatically so you never have to worry about broken links again.
- Digg.licio.us – Adds a “Save It” button just below the “Digg It” button allowing you to click to add to Del.icio.us.
- Digg Comment Helper – Highlights the most popular comments.
- Google Search – Replaces Digg’s search engine with Google search.
- Hide Buried Comments – Hides all buried comments (and their offspring).
- Reddit on Digg – Adds Reddit comments for the same article to the equivalent Digg article.
– eBay –
- Currency Conversion – Converts all currency to your currency of choice. Great for finding out how much you will have to pay for auctions and such that are listed under another currency.
– Facebook –
- Facebook Auto-login – Automatically logs you in to Facebook.
- Facebook Fixer – Makes profile pictures larger, shows additional menu items, adds people’s age to their profiles, and changes redirected links to direct links.
- Facebook Remove Feed Advertisements – Removes the feed advertisements on your Facebook feed.
- Facebook Auto-Colorizer – Changes the pages colors to match the dominant colors in the picture on each profile page.
- No Facebook Apps -Makes it so you don’t have to see facebook apps when you view Facebook profiles.
– Flickr –
- FlickrBox – Enhances browsing on Flickr.
- Flickr Shades – Changes Flickr to white letters on a black background. You can customize the script to colors of your choice.
- Flickr Image Blocker – Blocks annoying hovering images over the picture (to prevent you from saving the images).
- Flickr Photo Magnifier – Adds a small rectangular magnifier allowing you to see greater detail on Flickr images.
- Multi Group Sender – Overrides the Send to Group button allowing you to send to multiple groups.
– GMail –
- GMail Super Clean – Gives your GMail an amazing new look.
- GMail Air Skin – Gives GMail a slightly different look (more transparency).
- Folder4GMail – Adds sub-labels to your Gmail folder.
- GMail Full Width – Removes any advertisements and maximizes screen real estate by expanding your e-mails to fit your screen. Really useful for widescreen monitors.
- GMail and Reader Integrated – Integrates Google Reader into your GMail account.
- GMail Allow HTML – Allows you to add HTML to your E-mails.
- GMail Insert HTML Signature – Allows 1 or more HTML Signatures to be used within GMail.
- GMail Attachment Icons – Adds attachment icons to GMail.
- GMail Conversation Preview – Adds preview bubbles to GMail conversations.
- GMail Multiple Signatures – Allows you to have multiple signatures depending on which From: address you select.
- GMail Contact List – Gives GMail a contact list.
- GMail Spam Count Hide – Hides your GMail spam count.
– Google AdSense –
- AdSense EPC/CPC – Shows the cost-per-click (aka earnings-per-click) you’re getting on the AdSense reports page.
- Prevent Accidental Clicks – Makes it so you can’t accidentally click on your own advertisements on your website.
- Google Ads Remover – Blocks every Google Ad including SERP’s.
– Google Docs and Spreadsheets –
- Google Doc Download – Adds a drop-down box to download to MS Office, Open Office, PDF, etc.
– iGoogle (Personalized Homepage) –
- BeautyBlue – Nice blue theme for your iGoogle page.
- Google IG Max – Maximizes the removal of extra space to save room. Removes headers, footers, along with reducing the size of many elements on this page.
- More Rounded Corners – Allows you to round the corners of your modules.
- Remove Extra Space – Removes all the extra space on your iGoogle homepage.
- Remove the Header – Allows you to remove all module headers. You can also remove the footer with this script.
- Remove the Plus – Removes the + symbol next to each link within the modules.
- Replacing the Google Logo – Allows you to put any image where the iGoogle logo is (requires some hard coding).
- Resizeable Columns – Allows you to resize your homepage’s columns to look how you want.
- Transparencies – Makes the header image transparent to improve the look of your homepage.
– Google Maps –
- GZoom – Allows you to zoom beyond the normal limits.
– Google Reader –
- Auto Add Google Reader – Bypasses the confirmation page allowing you to quickly add feeds to your Google feed reader.
- Google Reader Facebook – Allows you to add posts to your Facebook page.
- Google Reader Optimized – Adjusts the appearance of Google Reader.
- Google Reader for Wider Screens – Maximizes screen real estate used for wide screen monitors.
- Google Reader Preview – Shows a preview of the webpage within Google Reader.
- Google Reader Print Button – Allows you to print stuff in your feeds.
- Google Reader Search – Adds search to Google Reader.
- Google Reader Twitter – Adds posts to Twitter with a single click.
– Google Search –
- GoogleEnlarge – Hover over a Google image to see an enlarged version of the image in a pop up.
- Google AutoPager – Eliminates the “Next Page” button and automatically loads the next pages results at the bottom of your page. (Works with the Google Preview extension for Firefox)
- Google Two Column – Displays search results in two columns (Ideal for people with wide screen monitors)
- Google 100 – Shows the first 100 search results instead of the default 10. You can also show a different number of results by doing the following 4 steps:
- Visit Google.com.
- Go to Tools -> Greasemonkey -> User Script Commands.
- Choose “Set Google Results Per Page”.
- Enter a number between 1 and 100.
– Miscellaneous –
- Disable Text Ads – Removes inline contextual text ads from the following 3 services: VibrantMedia(IntelliTXT), Kontera and Linkworth.
- Pre-Fill Comments – Will pre-fill in comment forms for you.
- Profanity Filter – Censors all profanity.
– StumbleUpon –
- Best Friends – Create an area for your top StumbleUpon friends, just like on other popular social networks. There’s no limit to the number of best friends you can add, but no one else will see them. Your friends are arranged in alphabetical order.
- Count Likes – Adds the number of “Likes” to the Preference and About sections of StumbleUpon.
- Del.icio.us Stumbles – Allows users to add links to Del.icio.us, then click a link to Stumble all bookmarks.
- Quick Tag – Suggests popular tags and personal tags to help you tag your links faster.
- Preview Posts – Adds a preview button to the StumbleUpon forums and your personal Inbox.
- Tag Toplist – Displays a top list of the most-used tags, and allows you to sort sort alphabetically or by tag count.
- WYSIWYG – Formats your reviews and comments in a WYSIWG editor.
– Wikipedia –
- Wikipedia Animate – Powerful script that animates the history of changes on the Wikipedia article. It highlights recent changes and provides a timeline slider.
– WordPress –
- Akismet Auntie Spam (by Engtech)- Shows 16-18 spam comments within Akismet instead of the default 3-5 comments.
– YouTube –
- YouTube Better Titles – Adjusts titles to help differentiate from multiple videos with the same titles.
- YouTube Better Embed – Adjusts embed code to be XHTML 1.0 compliant, which helps with embedding into sites.
- YouTube Cleaner – Elimates the extra junk from the YouTube page that you never use.
- YouTube Video Only – Removes everything from the page but the YouTube video itself. You can also move the commens next to the video.
- YouTube Googler – Makes the YouTube page look like Google Video (much larger video screen).
- YouTube Embed Video Downloader – Displays a link to download FLV movies.
- YouTube Prevent Autoplay – Stops videos from automatically playing. You can then click on it when you are ready to view it.
- YouTube Resizer – Allows you to resize YouTube videos. Great for making videos bigger and easier to view.
- Remove YouTube Comments – Removes all YouTube comments.
- Coralized YouTube – Uses coral’s cache servers to allow videos to load faster.
If you can’t find the one you’re looking for here, you can find over 5,000 user scripts (according to their site) at Userscripts or you can simply make your own. Lifehacker has also posted a way to sync your Greasemonkey scripts between computers.
If I’m missing some of your favorites, please leave a comment below with a link to the script and I’ll review it for inclusion in the post above. My hope is to keep this post limited to the best Greasmonkey scripts available, as it can often by frustrating digging through 100’s of scripts to find the ones you are looking for. This list will be updated regularly in hopes of keeping it as a valid reference.