Have you ever attempted to try to find the best Firefox Extensions only to feel like you are drowning in a pile of worthless or very situational Firefox Extensions? This doesn’t have to be the case.
I’ve waded through the endless masses of extensions, pulled out the best of the best, and broken them down into categories. You will also find a brief description of each extension following the link to download it. Here is the list as it currently stands:
– Appearance –
- Colorful Tabs – Adds color to your browser tabs, helping you to differentiate between each tab.
– Bookmarks –
- Add Bookmark Here 2 – Adds a ‘Add Bookmark’ menu to your menubar.
- Bookmark Sync – Lets you connect to an FTP server to sync up your bookmarks.
- Boox – Adds enhanced functions to the Bookmarks sidebar.
- Foxmarks – Most popular bookmark synchronizing extension. Only syncs bookmarks.
- Google Bookmarks Menu – Adds a Google Bookmarks Menu to your menu bar.
- Google Browser Sync – Syncs your various computers Firefox browsers. Includes all bookmarks, cookies and will restore last web session.
– Blogging –
- ScribeFire – Full featured blog editor built right into your web browser. (Formerly Performancing for Firefox)
– Calendar –
- Better GCal – Bundles a bunch of Greasemonkey scripts into a handy extension for Google Calendar.
- Google Calendar Notifier – Notifies you of that days events from your Google Calendar.
– Convenience –
- Adsense Notifier – Displays your Google Adsense earnings on the status bar.
- Chartlet – Extracts information from designated sites around the Internet at designated intervals (great for pulling stock quotes, etc.)
- CoComment – Assists you with comment tracking using CoComment.
- Forecastfox Enhanced – Builds local weather alerts into your web browser (based on your zip code).
- GraphSense – Displays your AdSense statistics in your web browser through the use of charts and graphs.
- More Tools Menu – Adds an additional menu called More Tools, and uses this menu for your other extensions.
- Restart Firefox – Adds an option to restart Firefox.
- TrashMail.net – Generates a disposable E-mail address to use for subscribing to sites/forums.
– Downloads –
- Download Manager Tweak – Modifies download appearance and allows you to open in separate windows, sidebar, or tab.
- Download Status Bar – Gives you the status of a file you are downloading. Includes to and from, status, time remaining, and percentage completed.
- DownThemAll! – Download Them All adds advanced download capabilities.
- FlashGot – Allows you to download one link, multiple links, or every link on the page in one click.
- PDF Download – Allows you to adjust how PDF is handled within Firefox.
- Video Downloader – Adds an icon to your status bar that allows you to download all types of videos with one click.
– E-mail –
- AJAX Yahoo! Mail – Adds AJAX support to Yahoo! Mail and allows one-click access to E-mail.
- Better GMail – Lifehacker extension that combines all the best Greasemonkey scripts into one extension. You can choose which extensions you want to add via a menu.
- E-Mail Notifier Toolbar – Supports GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, & any custom POP3 account by placing easy access to them in a toolbar.
- GMail Manager – Builds GMail into your browser and allows you to manage multiple GMail accounts at one time.
- Yahoo! Mail Notifier – Builds Yahoo! Mail into your browser, notifying you when you receive new E-mails.
– Functionality –
- All-in-One Gestures – Allows you to execute common commands using mouse gestures, rocker navigation, scroll wheel navigation and page scrolling.
- All-in-One Sidebar – Puts your downloads, extensions, themes, and more into a sidebar.
- Always Remember Password – Forces Firefox to always remember your passwords.
- Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE) – Backs up your Firefox extensions.
- Linkification – Converts plain texts to links automatically.
- Minimize to Tray – Minimizes Firefox to your computer’s system tray.
- Resurrect Pages – Uses a variety of caches to resurrect missing pages or sites that are down.
- Rewind/Fast forward Buttons – Adds Opera style fast forward and rewind buttons.
- Session Manager – Restores all tabs (Replaces Session Saver and Tab Mix Plus).
- Tab Mix Plus – Tabbed browsing, duplicating tabs, tab click options, session restore.
- Tab Preview – Adds a preview of every tab except the active tab.
- Tiny Menu – Converts all of your menus into one menu, making more room available for viewing pages.
- Uppity – Allows you to navigate up one level. (Works great with the StumbleUpon extension)
– Greasemonkey & Scripts –
- See my Best Greasemonkey Scripts List for an organized list of the best Greasemonkey scripts.
– Music –
- Foxy Tunes – Allows you to control your music player of choice through your web browser.
– News/RSS –
- Better GReader – Bundles a bunch of Greasemonkey scripts into a handy extension for Google Reader.
- Google Reader Notifier – Notifies you of unread posts in your Google Reader feed reader.
- RSS Tickler – This works like the above feed readers, however it can build a scroll bar into your Firefox browser, allowing you to glance at feeds as they update without constantly checking your feed reader. This feature can be disabled if you don’t like it as well.
- Sage – This feed reader has gained alot of popularity recently. It boasts a feed locator, integration with bookmarks and live bookmarks, and technorati integration.
- Wizz RSS News Reader – This is the most downloaded of the Firefox Extensions and boasts such features as a feed search, integrated Google and Feedster search, and monitors weather and your GMail account for you. It also includes several languages.
– Performance –
- FasterFox – Makes Firefox run much faster.
– Search –
- Customize Google – Allows you to customize Google search results to your specifications.
- Google Toolbar – Adds a Google toolbar to your web browser.
- Super Drag N Go – Allows you to drag a word or phrase and throw it anywhere on your web page to do an automatic search (uses which search engine you have set as default). Includes opening URL’s that you drag and directional dragging.
– Search Engines –
- Firefox Search Engines Page – You can add many search engines to your browser search in the upper right corner of your browser including Wikipedia, Technorati, Del.icio.us, ESPN, Flickr Tags, and USA Today.
– Security –
- Adblock Plus – Allows you to right click on an add and block it from all future visits.
- McAfee Site Adviser – Gives every website you visit a security ranking. The ranking will appear in your status bar or next to the search results when doing searches.
- No Script – Stops all scripts on every website you visit, helping avoid advertisements, malicious spyware and computer viruses. You can manually allow any trusted scripts.
– SEO –
- RankQuest SEO Toolbar – Provides access to more than 30 SEO tools in a toolbar.
- SearchStatus – Shows Google PageRank and Alexa Rankings within the status bar.
- SEO for Firefox – Updates your Google and Yahoo search results to show various SEO tools.
- SEOQuake – Adds SEO results to search results and on top of each webpage.
– Web 2.0 –
- Del.icio.us – Official Del.icio.us extension.
- Del.icio.us 1.1 – Adds Del.icio.us to your sidebar.
- Digg This! – Adds a Digg This! menu to your web browser, making it easy for one click submit.
- DiggThumbs – Adds a Thumbnail preview of the website next to each article that has been Dugg.
- Digg Toolbar – Adds a Digg toolbar, making it convenient to search and track Digg.
- eBay Toolbar – Allows you to do everything eBay from this handy toolbar.
- Facebook Toolbar – Facebook developers created this toolbar for your Facebook account.
- MySpace Toolbar – Allows you to access new comments, bulletins and more from your MySpace account.
- StumpleUpon – StumbleUpon lets you “channelsurf” the best-reviewed sites on the web. It is a collaborative surfing tool for browsing, reviewing and sharing great sites with like-minded people. This helps you find interesting web pages that you wouldn’t think to search for.
– Web Development –
- AspellFox – Allows you to right click in any text box and select Aspell. This will spell check the text document.
- ColorZilla – Gives you the EXACT hex color code for a color you see on a website. Simply click on the eyedropper and the color you want.
- EditCSS – Places your style sheet into a side panel for easy editing.
- Extended Statusbar – Opera style status bar that provides speed, percentage, time, and loading sizes.
- FireFTP – Turns your browser into an FTP Client.
- GMail Space – Turns your GMail into an FTP Client.
- IE Tab – Embeds Internet Explorer within a Firefox tab.
- IE View – Right click a page and select View this Page in IE to open your current page in IE.
- Load Time Analyzer – Analyzes how long it takes for Firefox to load your webpage and provides a detailed report.
- Measure It – Renders a ruler across your page, giving you exact pixel counts, etc.
- Nightly Tester Tools – Makes your extensions Firefox 2.0 compatible and provides basic web developer functions.
- Opera View – Right click a page and select View this page in Opera to open the current page in Opera.
- Roboform – Password manager and will pre-fill some forms.
- Total Validator – Validates XHTML compliancy and checks for broken links or spelling errors.
If there is a Firefox Extension you use a lot that isn’t included in the list above, please leave me a quick comment with a link to the extension and I’ll review it to be added to the list. In an effort to keep this list as useful as possible, I will only be including extensions that appeal to a large number of people.
My intention is to keep this list as useful as possible, so it will be updated regularly as more extensions become available.